The Mary-El Tarot is a deck with so much oomph, I wouldn’t hesitate to call it ‘Tarot dynamite.’ Looking for a quick fix? This ain’t it! The Mary-El demands that you dig deep and look your Shadow straight in the eyes.
In the companion book, Landscapes of the Abyss (yes, it really goes that deep!), Mary White, the creatrix of both the deck and the book offers an amazingly insightful 7 card relationship tarot spread.
I thought I would give it a go…
1. Her heart
2. Her mind
3. His heart
4. His mind
5. Foundation of the relationship – what brought these two people together. Here you can see if the foundation is solid and if it meets the needs of both people
6. Advice (for her or him – choose before laying the cards out)
7. Potential outcome – indicates the direction which the energy is presently flowing (not set in stone)
Before I delve into the individual card interpretations, I need to point out the Elemental component of this reading. 4 out 7 cards belong to the Earth Element (Disks) and the remaining 3 are Water (Cups).
There is an absence of sexual energy (Fire/Wands) and also of communication (Air/Swords).
That said, Mary White has a slightly different take on the suit of Cups:
“Emotions are a language that our subconscious uses to motivate us, to prod us, to communicate with us.”
1. In her heart there is nothing but unconditional love for him, as shown by the 9 of Cups. Looking at the imagery, we can see that this relationship is ending the paradigm of thoughts about relating. The scorpion is biting the foot of the baboon (an aspect of Thoth) and sending him on his afterlife journey.
2. The 2 of Disks image symbolising what is happening in her mind seems apt, as she is using both her solar and lunar consciousness (solar and lunar disks covering the eyes) to try to see both sides, to empathise, to discern, to balance what is within with what is without…
3. In his heart, the 4 of Cups indicates that he is slowly allowing the subconscious dream messages and emotions to surface, allowing himself to feel them fully and to contemplate them in the temple of his heart. This is not a linear process but a deliberate unveiling of a precious pearl.
He is aware of a meaningful connection but not yet aware of what it actually means and is therefore watching and waiting.
4. In his mind, the Page of Cups indicates that while he is aware of the potential for unconditional love, he is not sure how to manifest it. He is a willing student of relationships but may not be able to vocalise his questions and prefers the realms of dreams and fantasy.
His ideals are high and once the rose-tinted glasses fall off his nose, he may be more likely to run and hide than deal with the harsh realities of life and relationships. As the image indicates, he has turned his back on it all.
5. The foundation of this relationship is the 5 of Disks. The disharmony inherent in all fives is present here too.
It is the pit you have to go into to retrieve the gold, the knowledge of yourself, of your destiny. – Mary White
It’s the challenge of retrieving paradise inside the flesh and thus graduating from the challenges of all the fives.
6. The advice comes in the shape of the Ace of Disks and I take to mean to enter the Labyrinth fearlessly, with full ownership… like Asterion himself.
We are man, god and animal, just like the Minotaur, and in our hearts is found a golden seed.
Now that all the elements have come together the Sun is born, joy is born, the source of all is born, from the womb of the earth and the journey begins. – Mary White
Recognise the gift.
The process doesn’t stop after doing a reading like this. Portals of awareness have been opened and the learning journey has only begun…
☆ Lisa Frideborg Lloyd ☆