Tarot for Love and Relationships – Email Readings

Love & Romance Tarot Card Combinations

The Lovers from the Faerie Tarot by Nathalie Hertz

The Lovers from the Faerie Tarot by Nathalie Hertz

Doing a love reading for yourself or a friend and not quite sure what to look for? It’s easy to get lost in the many different interpretations for each card, so I decided to put together this Top 5 Love Tarot Cards Guide to simplify your love readings.

Top Soulmate Card: The 6 of Cups. When you meet someone under the auspice of the 6 of Cups you are likely to bond instantly and have the feeling of already knowing this person. That feeling is there for a reason. You have journeyed together in a past life. Look for combinations with the Ace of Cups, Knight of Cups and Wheel of Fortune for incoming soulmates. Soulmate love always promotes growth but can be difficult depending on your karma and may or may not last.

Top New Love Card: The Ace of Cups. In a love reading, the Ace of Cups is the card that tells you to keep your heart open to welcome new love in. Look for combinations with Court cards (also known as ‘people cards’), the 2 of Cups, The Lovers and The Knight of Cups. A court card next to the Ace of Cups might tell you a bit about the personality of your new love. If the Court card happens to be the Knight of Cups, you can expect him to fall head over heels in love with you.

Top Great Date Card:The Three of Cups. Communication will flow and joyful emotional bonding should be a doddle. Be warned though, as this card could easily end up with a ‘Your place or mine?’ scenario. Make your mind up whether or not this would be cool before stepping out and avoid over consumption of alcohol if you want to keep your head clear.

Top Reciprocal Love Cards: 2 of Cups & The Lovers. Look for combinations with The Empress and the Knight of Cups.

Top Commitment Cards: The Hierophant for wedding bells. The Four of Wands for moving in together. The World for lasting love. The Sun and the 10 of Cups for relationship happiness. The 10 of Pentacles for telling your grandchildren about how you first met. Look for combinations with all of the cards mentioned above.

Additional cards you may want to look out for: As usual, the 9 of Cups and The Star signify luck and getting your wish granted.

The Other Knights: The Knight of Pentacles signifies steadfastness and reliability but may be a tad dull. The Knight of Swords will most likely end up hurting you. He may look like your Knight in Shining Armour but he’s not able to care deeply for another. The Knight of Wands is often an incurable flirt – fun while it lasts but don’t count on him popping the question.

Tarot Love Magick: Just as these cards are the best ones for guiding you on your path to a wonderful love relationship, they are also the best for manifesting true love and relationship happiness. Watch this space for future Tarot Love Magick posts!

Hopefully this key to love readings will help you to quickly get an overview of any main relationship theme but don’t get stuck in formulas and always trust your own intuition.

*** FREE Love Tarot Spreads eBook. ***

FREE Tarot eBook - Love & Relationship Spreads image

Click on the image to sign up for my weekly newsletter, A Little Lisa Love, to stay updated, receive special offers and get a free Angel Reading for the week ahead. As a thank you for subscribing you will get a FREE copy of 10 of the Best Love & Relationship Tarot Spreads (with 2 bonus surprise chapters)!

33 Responses to “Love & Romance Tarot Card Combinations”

1. Ana

Dear Lisa, can you enlighten me? When I ask the tarot what are his feelings for me, I get always the same card: the World. Can you help me to understand this?

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

The cards may be reacting to you asking the same question over and over again. Unless you resonate with the idea that you ‘mean the world’ to him then this could be the cards’ way of telling you to stop asking the same question.

2. Lisa lP

Ok im soo confused on this combo,,lol I asked how can I win over this person, get attention , ectect..And the first card I pulled was the knight of cups and the second card I pulled was the hierophant.. I only pull two cards second one acting as a filter..over the first..The hierophant always confusses me..

• Lisa lP

What I meant by filter..is the energy around the first card, almost like celtic cross spread the first two cards in that layout, if that makes sense.

• Lisa lP

So the first card was knight of cups and the second card was the hierphant that I place over it… and the qustion I asked was how do I win over ectect get this persons attention or pay attention and notice me…and I am not dating this person, it is a male more of a distant aquatcian, sorry about misspell lol

• Lisa lP

oh ok…well I always thought of it as energy around the situation of the first card….So how would you read these two together as a meaning?

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Well, the Knight should be pretty self-explanatory but I still can’t help with the Hierophant since I have no clue how you read the ‘filter’… What does ‘energy around the situation’ mean… to you? I think the real problem here is your own definitions of the card positions. Perhaps you could work on bringing them into sharper focus? Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I hope you understand I’m actually trying to help you think.

• Lisa lP

Well hes a king of wands looks and personality..so im guessing the knight of cups would mean more about feelings, and perhaps I need to control my feelings with the hierphant.. But that does not make sense…

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Again, what the Knight of Cups means depends on what issue he is addressing. You never answered my question: Is the Knight of Cups the action you need to take to win his heart? You need more focus both for the question and the card positions!

• Lisa lP

Okay lets see… If they where side by side..and first card drawn is knight of cups..he would be the action card and the hierphant would be the challenge card…im not use to thinking action position and challenge position.. Maybe thats why I can not figure out the two …thank you for takibg the time to answer me.

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

If the Knight of Cups is the action to take, it means turn the romance ON! The challenge would be to not get stuck in conventional/traditional ways of behaving in this situation. But I’d get more info from the visual clues if I were you!

• Lisa lP

Lol,,,ok visual clues,,i chat with him once every week or so but its only online right now, and I have such ahard time relating to the knight of cups,,im super conservitive and shy. He likes attention,,from the ladys,,,very out going, So I guess I should look up more on the knight of cups,,,hes a libra, so I guess now thinking about it that would make sense.

3. Lisa

I have a question about the five of wands. I ran into my ex earlier this week, after our conversation with a lot of mixed signals, i wondered if I should pursue him. In my reading I got the two of cups, the five of wands and the six of cups. It looks positive to me, but the five of wands. I love your interpretations of cards, what do you think?

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Did you only pull three cards? What were the card positions? Which spread did you use? How do you normally read – With our without reversals? Which deck did you use? What was your own immediate impression of these cards? Without knowing the answers to those question, my impression is that the cards are basically mirroring that there still is an emotional attachment and that this is why you are getting mixed signals.

• Lisa

Yes, I only pulled three cards. The two of cups, the five of wands and the six of cups in that order and none were reversed. It was a past, present, future reading. I do use reversals and it was the gilded tarot. My first impression, was a yes, I should pursue him. The two of cups showed me there was love and the six of cups was a return to that love, but the five of wands to me is a battle. The problem is, he is in another relationship and I do believe in karma, so maybe that is why the five of wands showed up. It was seeing that you had the six of cups under soul mates that made me stop and ask the question.
        Follow up, he has reached out to me in the past two days, and you are absolutely correct, there is a huge emotional attachment on both sides, but also confusion.

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

The Karmic cards are fund in the Majors – Judgement in particular. If you are soul mates then yes, there may be karmic issues to work through but the 5 of Wands is not usually an indication of working through karmic stuff. YES, It’s conflict… but more of measuring each other’s strength and deciding on the best approach. In love, I call it ‘the tango card.’

4. Melanie

I keep getting the four of wands and the empress when asking about my ex, whom I still love – is this a positive sign or should I just move on

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Melanie. If you keep asking the same question over and over, the answer you’re getting from the cards is not likely to be very reliable. Also, what other cards are you getting? Or do you always pull two cards? No spread?

5. Melanie

I’m doing the readings on tarot.com 3 card love spread, so don’t know how reliable these Internet sites are – a few times the four of wands has come up – but the 9 of swords was also in the reading – which I know means I’m worrying too much about the situation – I’m still learning all the tarot meanings at the moment so am a bit of a novice

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Melanie, it is pretty much impossible to read for yourself if you are attached to the outcome… (whether online or not) If you are a novice and laying the cards out over and over without understanding what you are looking at the only result you can expect is confusion. Even very seasoned readers struggle with reading for themselves about love. Please get a reading.

• Melanie

I will book in for a reading as the last one was quite some time ago now – thanks for the advice

6. Kim

Hi Lisa

I asked in a 7 card reading if a past love interest would come back. I got

Past: 3 Wands Rx – Timing off

Present: 2 Wands – Possibly still interested and thinking about??

Future: Emperor – Listen to our own wisdom.

Answer: Ace Wands – New beginning needs to be initiated.

Surrounding Energy: Moon Rx – Listen to own gut feelings

Hopes & Fears: Strength Rx – Have strength

Outcome: Empress – Possible grounded relationship (as it appears with Emperor)

Just wondering if I have interpreted this correctly or have I missed an underlying message.

Kim

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Hi Kim, I don’t read with reversals – I want to use the full spectrum of meanings and possibilities and tune in by connecting the cards to each other and the question instead. I wouldn’t read the 3 of Wands as a timing issues necessarily but I suppose it can be since it didn’t work out. It could indicate involvement of a third party – especially with The Moon Present. Surrounding energy? What does that mean? Outside influences? Other People? That’s such a vague label for a position! The hopes and fears position wouldn’t tell you to ‘have’ anything – it would tell you to look closely at your hopes and fears. With the reversal here, I would guess that you feel you may not have enough pulling power to get him back. Be honest about your fears and you’ll have a better chance of overcoming them! The Emperor in the future would signal to me that any future development may be more on his terms… but yes, The Empress might balance that influence and does look positive for a reunion. The Ace of Wands can act as a torch against the obscuring influence of the Moon here… You do need more information before you can take action!

7. Ad

I absoultey love your website, it has helped me so much in my readings! I recently did a reading for myself about my exsisting relationship and where it was going and I had many of these cards including the hierophant (central) , knight of cups (cc), the sun( future) two of cups ( outcome) and lovers and 10 of pentacles (last cards pulled to confirm). I tried to figure out what these combos meant and then found your site. From this I feel like things are moving in the right direction and things will start to get more committed. I hope! Am I interpreting these combos right?

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Thanks Ad, glad you like the site!

In answer to your question… If this is the only reading you have done about the future of this relationship recently, and not just the one you chose because it showed you the most positive cards… then yes… :D

• Ad

Thanks Lisa!!

It was the only reading and not with my normal deck either, i wanted it untainted by the deck i handle often, instead I used RW. The last time I did reading was when we first stated dating and I had star , nine of cups , three of pentacles in the future and 10 of cups outcome. I wanted to wait a while before I read again, and the cards from above came up. I was a bit confused about the two of cups outcome as we were already in a relationship but I think it just means a deepening of the relationship.

8. Mathilda

Hi Lisa,
    I did the “Nikky Mackay’s 15 Card Relationship Spread” for a relationhip that is fairly new (we were dating 6 months ago, it fizzled out, and now we started dating again), and I got the devil on ‘what I am bringing to the relationship’ and death for ‘where I am standing now, in relation to him’. I am a bit confused (as I am practicing my tarot-skills and trying to learn), but I can’t really work it out. The rest of the cards are fairly positive, with the sun, 10 of cups, 4 of wands, the stars, 9 of cups (as final card), the empress and so on. Also, the tower came up when asking about external influences for me. Any suggestions? Many thanks, Mathilda

• Lisa Frideborg Lloyd

Hi Mathilda, the Devil could be about physical attraction. Death could simply denote a strong desire to transfrom the relationship and move it forward. Please try not to look at the cards as ‘positive’ or ‘negative’ – they all contain the full spectrum of Shadow and Light.

• Mathilda

Thanks you so much Lisa! great website (found it yesterday!). Are you Swedish? Isådanafall, tack för en grymt bra och lättläst blogg (för nybörjare som jag) :-) Kram

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, feedback and questions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 41,334 other followers